Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Why Are Some People Considered Artists? I Mean Really!

I sometimes go online and see some of the art shows that are being shown in galleries around the world.  Some of these shows I'm completely amazed by some of the detail I see in the pieces showcased; but a good portion of the time I'm completely shocked by what some people would consider art.  What is the definition of art really?  Well if you must know its the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture.  Now I'm all for art if it goes by that very definition, but could someone please tell me what makes the picture below artistic in any way?


Alright, now that you've had a minute to take in the artwork above, happily titled 'From the week in hell' by Tracey Emin, would you consider that art?  I would if a troubled five year old did it, and that's just my opinion, but I think most would agree with me.  The artist, Tracey Emin, has been a part of the art scene since she opened her own shop called The Shop in 1993, for reasons unknown to me.  People buy her work and hang it on their walls, and are in amazement by the art they just purchased.  Now I'm not bashing the woman, I'm bashing her artwork.  She is a very giving person who has raised money for charities such as the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children and HIV/AIDS charities.  She is a passionate person, and I'm sure she loves what she does, but I know people who spend hours on their art and they never get the notoriety she's been given.  Here's another example of the artwork she's done:


If you believe what your looking at is a penis with a bird perched on top, I'm gonna say your right.  Now lets look at another artist:


The painting you see above was painted by an artist named Sidney Eileen titled Ringo.  She's an unknown artist whose work you can find on asingularcreation.com.  Now why isn't she a well known artist compared to Tracey Emin.  Maybe it's just me.



No comments:

Post a Comment